Get to Know Everything About Match Bonuses and Why and HOW You Should Take Advantage!
The What and the How of Match Bonuses
Match bonuses are among the most popular types of online casino bonuses and with good reason! A match bonus is a bonus where the online casino will match the first deposit that you make with them.
In effect, this will mean you have double the money you have to play with and potentially double the money to win with! With many different online casinos offering these match bonuses, you will also find a variety of options for both the amounts and requirements of the match bonus.
Nowadays you will be almost insulted as a player if the online casino dares to offer less than a 100% match bonus. Besides this “industry standard” offer, online casinos have started to compete with each other on match bonuses and you will find 200%, 250%, or even 300% match bonuses available!
Receiving the Match Bonus
How the match bonus is added to your account varies from casino to casino. One of the most common options is that the online casino will make the immediate match bonus available in your bankroll. This will give you the advantage of having a larger bankroll to play with and to apply betting progressions more easily.
With these match bonuses, you will find that the money is not directly withdrawable. So you can use the money to play instantly but in order for you to withdraw the match bonus, you will need to meet certain requirements.
Not just the match bonus in your bankroll but even the profits made with the amount of matched money can be temporarily restricted to take out of your account.
To get the extra match bonus money and the profits that you have made available for you to enjoy, most online casinos work with so-called “wagering requirements”.
A wagering requirement is a certain amount of money or multiplication of your initial deposit amount. In practice, this means that the money will be available to play with (and make even more profits!) but the online casino wants you to stay around and play more before you can reap the rewards.
If you check out our other guides on different casino bonuses you will find that there are also no deposit bonuses available which are somewhat similar. Regular match bonuses usually offer less strict terms and conditions and larger deposit amounts that are matched.
Example Calculation of a Match Bonus
Let’s have a look at an example calculation of a match bonus from our favorite (fictional) online casino: New Jersey Fantasia Profits. New Jersey Fantasia offers you the following match bonus:
- 200% Match bonus
- A minimum deposit of $20
- Maximum deposit of $500
- wagering requirement 35x the initial deposit
- Max bet size of $50
You have heard good things about New Jersey Fantasia Profits and like the match bonus that is offered. You decide to start out with a sizeable first deposit of $420. After depositing you calculate:
- $420 at 300% = $1260 starting bankroll
- $420 x 35 = $14,700 wagering requirement
- $14,700/ $50 max bet = 294 bets
You start playing and unfortunately, you hit a little bit of a bad streak and end up losing 13%. $1260 *0.13= $163.8. Your starting amount was $1260 and with a losing streak of 13% after a bad run you end up with $1096.2. Even if you have a lot of bad luck you will still end up with $676.2 of profit! That bad losing streak is not so bad after all now huh?
Benefits and Disadvantages of Match Bonuses
Looking at the calculation we made and assuming even a losing streak, it is clear that match bonuses can be a great way to get some extra cash for your bankroll. Despite it being a very favorable option, it is important to know the downsides of a match bonus and to know about the other advantages a match bonus can bring.
Match Bonus Tops
- Extra wagering money – As you have seen in our example calculation, not only will a match bonus provide you with extra cash but this also means a bigger bankroll and more chances to win!
- Solid profits – Even though 100% match bonuses are almost standard, even doubling your money by simply playing is a great deal. Especially if you get into the 200-300% match rate, you will find there are solid profits.
- Difficult to lose – Especially with a match bonus of 150% or more you really need to have a lot of bad luck or become reckless in your bets to lose all of your money.
- Combo bonuses available – Match bonuses often are combined with other bonuses that online casinos offer like free spins. Be sure to check out our other guides and reviews to find the best deals!
Match Bonus Flops
- Ridiculous terms – Although most match bonus terms and conditions can be called fair, especially considering you will at least double your money, there are still some sketchy offers out there. Be aware and read the terms and conditions and make a calculation of what you need to get that cold hard cash in your hands!
- No direct withdrawal – If you are smart about playing and wagering with your expanded bankroll you can profit. It does still take some betting and work to get the money to you and for a while, those beautiful numbers are just that, numbers.
- Match limits – If you plan on playing with larger amounts of money you will find that most online casinos have a limit to the amount of matched money they offer. It almost seems too good to be true, but larger bankrolls can only profit a certain amount of money (with the exception of special VIP or high-roller match bonuses).
How to Take Advantage and the Fine Print Essentials
As you will find with most bonuses that online casinos offer there is a lot of competition and sometimes crazy offers. The best thing you can do as a bettor is to be aware of the fine print that comes with all those great options. Sometimes it is better to take a less “juicy” deal with better terms and conditions than it is to keep chasing after that proverbial carrot on the stick. Here are some common terms to be aware of:
- Minimum deposit – usually not the biggest of your worries, you can find them as low as $10
- Maximum deposit – when you start getting into the bigger leagues you will run into a maximum amount of money matched. The limits usually start to come in around $2000 but can be as low as $100
- Wagering requirements – the requirements for you to play a certain amount to be able to withdraw the match bonus in cash.
- Referral/Sign up exclusives – some offers are only available through partnerships or other requirements which means not everyone can profit the same amount.
- Maximum Cashout – winning a lot is a possibility and some online casinos protect themselves by setting a maximum amount of money that you can win through the match bonus.
- Maximum bet size – Casinos can also implement a maximum bet size which will prevent you to go for a lucky streak and just bet your entire bankroll at once.
Despite these limits and restrictions, a match bonus is still one of the best bonuses available in the online casino world. Be sure to check out our reviews and other bonus guides so you can get the best return on investment on your money.
Get out there, have fun, profit, enjoy your winnings, and most importantly, play responsibly!
NJ Cash Match Bonus FAQ
Which online casino has the best payouts?This is certainly a good question to ask since we are in it for the money for the match bonuses but the answer is not as straight-forward as you might think. As you can read in the terms and conditions of this part of our guide there are many different variables that will determine the percentage of your payout and the maximum possible amount. Also, since New Jersey is part of The United States, you will find online casinos who don’t even allow American players to bet or the online casino might limit or exclude the match bonus. If you want to know more about the different casinos, the match bonuses they offer, and other bonuses, be sure to check out our review page!
Are other bonuses more profitable than a match bonus?This is certainly a good question to ask since we are in it for the money for the match bonuses but the answer is not as straight-forward as you might think. As you can read in the terms and conditions of this part of our guide there are many different variables that will determine the percentage of your payout and the maximum possible amount. Also, since New Jersey is part of The United States, you will find online casinos who don’t even allow American players to bet or the online casino might limit or exclude the match bonus. If you want to know more about the different casinos, the match bonuses they offer, and other bonuses, be sure to check out our review page!
Can you make money with online casino match bonuses?This is really determined by what amount of money you are looking to make when taking advantage of match bonuses. It is possible to get some extra money and add to your bankroll but if you are looking to make more than that you might be disappointed. There are many people who try to exploit the match bonuses that online casinos offer. They try to accomplish this by making multiple accounts, logging in with different VPN servers, using betting bots, and repeating this at multiple online casinos. This obviously breaks the terms and conditions of every match bonus offered and casinos will take hard measures when such a scheme is detected. Match bonuses can offer a solid option to get some extra playing money but it is key not to get greedy on the offer!