Guide to Online Baccarat in New Jersey
Always wanted to play an online casino game without having to think about strategy and tactics? Just wanting to play to enjoy yourself and win a bit of money while you are at it? Then baccarat is just the right game for you. Place your bet on whichever side you think is going to win and let the cards be drawn.
With odds of winning being nearly 50%, you will rarely break the bank with this action-packed online casino game. Return to player rate is an astonishing 98.9%, assuring you will enjoy playing baccarat for hours on end.
At Casino New Jersey we want you to be well prepared for any casino game you are interested in. Learn all you need to know about online baccarat in this article, as well as some useful tips and tricks to get you started!
History of Baccarat
Baccarat goes way back as one of the earliest card games invented. In the year 1400 an Italian by the name of Felix Falguiere called the game Baccara, which was the Italian word for zero back then. The number zero stood for the amount of points you would get from the following cards; tens, jacks, queens and kings.
Despite being played a bit different, the fundamentals of the game are still the same as they were in the 15th century. Betting is done by choosing for either the banker or the player to win.
With the introduction of online casinos, baccarat became much more accessible to the people. Now you can have access to an online baccarat table in New Jersey from your own home.
What is baccarat?
Like we said, Baccarat is an easy game to understand. You have the ability to place three single types of bets: Banker bet, Player bet or a Tie. Both the player and the banker receive two cards each, face up, which determines the strength of the hand. Whoever has the strongest hand – meaning closest to the total score of 9 – wins.
Sounds simple, but there are a few interesting rules that make online baccarat different from other famous card games that you might be familiar with. Strategy-wise you are completely limited to choosing one of the three bets, making online baccarat a completely luck-based casino game. The only decision you are involved with is where to place your bet.
Game-play Online Baccarat
Even though online baccarat sounds very simple, it can be confusing at first. We will explain the different values of the cards and show you the progression of the game.
- Tens, jacks, queens and kings are worth 0 points
- Aces are worth 1 point
- All other numbered cards are valued according to their own number
- When the hand surpasses 9, the left digit is taken away. For example:
- A 9 and 8 combine for 17. In baccarat it counts for 7.
- A 4 and 7 combine for 11. In baccarat it counts for 1.
- Suits don’t count for anything in online baccarat
Online baccarat always works according to the same format, starting with:
- The Bet – At the start of the game the players on the table will make their bet. There are three options to bet on; the “player”, the “banker” or the “tie” spot.
- The Deal – After placing your bet, the dealer will deal two cards for the player’s side and two cards for the banker’s side. The object of the game is to choose the hand that comes closest to a total of 9. When an 8 or 9 is reached with just the first two cards, it is called a ‘natural’ and that side wins instantly. If both the player and banker make an 8 or 9 with their first two cards, it’s called a tie.
- Player’s Rules – If the player is dealt 0-5, the player automatically gets one more card. If the player gets 6 or 7, they stand. An 8 or 9 is a winner.
- Bankers Rules – The rules on the side of the banker are a little more complicated. Depending on what the player’s third card is, or what their action has to be, the banker has a wide range of options. Below you can see a cheat sheet for all the different bankers’ rules
- Outcomes – Baccarat has one of the best chances to win of all the casino games. When betting on the player winning, you can expect a house advantage of 1.24%. Betting on the banker winning, that advantage is only 1.06%. Wagers on the tie spot give the casino a staggering advantage of 14.4%. Ties pay 9-1 or 8-1 depending on where you play, while betting on the player or banker gives you 1-1 payouts. Also, betting on the bankers’ side includes a 5% commission, paid when you finish playing.
Online Baccarat Tips and Tricks:
- Understanding the game – Online baccarat is deceivingly easy, but understanding the game properly, it’s odds and the various bets you can place, can give you a considerably better starting position.
- Bankroll management – A phrase ubiquitous in gambling, also has its importance in online baccarat. Online baccarat can move fast, hands quickly succeeding each other and before you know it you are betting bigger and bigger amounts without knowing how you got there. Before you start playing, set your bankroll and give yourself a time limit. When you have lost that amount or when time is over, call the session. Take a break or quit for the day. Something that is not often mentioned with bankroll management is the winnings ceiling. Decide what amount of winnings you would feel comfortable with in order to leave the table.
- Play the bankers’ side – Looking at the different odds of winning across the board, it becomes clear that the bankers’ side has a significant edge over the other options. The return to player percentage for playing on the bankers’ side is 98.9%, even with the 5% commission that you are required to pay when you win. In contrast, the return to player percentage for betting on the player’s side is 98.75%. Despite this minimal difference, it’s almost always best to bet on the bankers’ side winning.
- Do not bet on a tie! – Online casinos pay between 8-1 to 11-1 for a winning tie bet. Although it sounds like a good deal, the advantage for the casino is too much. At 8-1, the casino advantage is 14.4%. At 9-1, this becomes 4%. This makes the tie bet the least profitable bet by far.
- Practice! – You can provide yourself with the best odds by making use of the opportunity to play online baccarat for free. Many online casinos in New Jersey provide this opportunity. By investing time in playing the game for free, you are getting a free hands-on education on how the game is played and how betting strategies affect the game.
Variations on Online Baccarat
In this article we have mainly explained the rules of basic baccarat. This is also known in many casinos as “punto banco”. This is a variation of baccarat with multiple dealers, famous in all high-stake rooms across Atlantic City. The more accessible variation of this is “mini-baccarat”, in which only one dealer shuffles and deals the deck.
Some other versions of baccarat all work from the same fundamentals as punto banco. The main differences can be found in their unique side betting or additional rulesets. Some of the more famous ones are: Chemin de Fer, Baccarat Banque and Macao.
Yes and no. There is a chance to count cards, but because of the nature of the game and its payouts, the rewards are tiny. This is why most people consider it not worthwhile to count cards in online baccarat.
Just like with regular baccarat in land-based casinos, online casinos use between 6-8 decks for playing.
While land-based baccarat has had the reputation of only being played in higher stake rooms, the emergence of mini-baccarat introduced lower stake tables. The same trend carried over in the online casinos, with all New Jersey based online casinos showing a variety of tables with lower limits.